Exercises/ Coping Tools
1) When you start to feel panicky or feel a fastened heart beat, try to relax your body and stand or sit up tall. You want to breathe from you diaphragm and not from your chest. A good rule of thumb is to place your hand on the top of your belly; when you breathe in you should feel his part of you move up and down, NOT your chest.
2) Take a nice and slow breath in through your nose and slowly count to 4 while you are inhaling. Remember to place your hand on the top of your belly to control your breathing. I like to breathe in as far as I can, really pushing my limit.
3) Next, hold this breath in for 4 counts.
4) Slowly begin to exhale, count slowly to 4. I also like to push myself at this step and really try to blow out any and all air that's left in you.
5) This is the "relaxation" stage where you resume normal breathing for 4 seconds.